What is a nested family?
To nest families in another family, create or open a host (base) family, and then load and insert instances of one or more family types into it. The base family can be a new (empty) family or an existing family. To create a family with nested components. Create or open a family into which you want to nest a family.
What are the 3 types of families in Revit?
The 3 kinds of families in Revit are: system families, loadable families, and in-place families. Most elements that you create in your projects are system families or loadable families. Loadable families can be combined to create nested and shared families.
In the Family Category and Parameters dialog, under Family Parameters, select Shared.
- Open the host family or start a new family.
- Open the families that you want to nest, and share them.
- Load and place a nested component within the host family.
- Repeat this process for each nested component.
- Save the family.
How do I delete a nested family in Revit?
In the one family you set the parameter to recessed. Then remove the type parameter and delete the Surface mounted nested family. In the other copy of the family you can set the parameter to surface mounted. Then remove the type parameter and delete the Surface mounted nested family.
How do I edit a nested family in Revit?
Modify Families in a Project (or Nested Family)
- Double-click an instance of the family in the drawing area.
- Select an instance of the family in the drawing area, and click Modify
tab Mode panel (Edit Family).
- In the drawing area or the Project Browser (under Families), right-click the family, and click Edit.
How do you add family to family in Revit?
- Click Insert tab Load from Library panel (Load Family).
- In the Load Family dialog, double-click the category of the family that you want to load.
- Preview any of the families (RFA) in the category: To preview a single family, select it from the list. …
- Select the family that you want to load, and click Open.
Where is family types in Revit?
In the Family Editor, on the Create ribbon, in the Properties panel, click Family Types to open the Family Types dialog. This is where you can manage the family types as well as the family parameters. For this family, there are several parameters under Dimensions and Identity Data.
Where are system families Revit?
System families are predefined in and saved in templates and projects, not loaded into templates and projects from external files. Because system families are predefined in Revit, you can only load system family types in projects or templates. Revit includes many system families and project and system settings.
Click Modify tab Properties panel (Family Types). In the Family Types dialog, under Parameters, click Add. Follow the steps for creating a new parameter of the same type as the parameter you want to control in the nested family. Click OK to close the Family Types dialog.
How do you ungroup a family in Revit?
- In the drawing area, select a group.
- Click Modify | Model Groups tab Ungroup.